Don’t bother about those long sessions of washing boxing gloves; we have some simple methods to maintain these without affecting their life. Boxers often don’t get much time and strength to maintain their boxing gloves after rigorous practice sessions, however neglecting the cleaning process may release bacteria and make your gloves smell dreadful.
5simple steps to clean boxing gloves and stay within the hygiene rule:
1. The saltwater technique: Follow the saltwater method to wash your dirty and foul boxing gloves. Many experts also advice people to take a bath with salt and lukewarm water as it releasing the bacteria from the body. It is exactly what the process does to your gloves too. Saline solution is the most natural and best cleaning solution. Dissolve your gloves in this solution for a few minutes and wash it with regular water. Avoid washing gloves that contain materials which are sensitive to salt.
2. Use the stuffing method: Another popular method is the stuffing process. In this approach, the boxers stuff the gloves with glove dogs. These are bags filled with materials that throw out the bacteria from your gloves. Some people directly fill their gloves with cedar chips so that there is no foul smell from the gloves. If you are unsure of what a glove dog is, you can also use a bar of soap or some newspapers inside the gloves.
3. The freezer bag method: One of the best ways to keep your gloves clean is by leaving them in the freezer for a day or two. You need to ensure that the temperature of the freezer is set to a level where there is no ice formed in the gloves. As the best solution, wrap your gloves in a plastic bag before you put these in the freezer. This step will eventually prevent your gloves from being frozen. Ensure that you do not keep any eatable inside of the bacteria released from your gloves will mess it all.
4. Lysol Treatment: Buy an anti-bacterial spray that prevents your gloves from forming any bacteria.It would be wise to spray Lysol or Febreze before and after the practice sessions. Although the method doesn’t give you 100% results, it will help you to a great extent. Do some research on the different brands of anti-bacterial sprays to ensure that have invested in the right brand.Take support from your trainer, other boxers, or the web.
5. Follow the basics: A few basics of cleaning boxing gloves on a regular basis will prevent you from any embarrassing situation of bad odor in the ring. Do not put your boxing gloves in your gym bag. Keep these under the sun or in an AC room and leave these open, let the air pass inside and dry up all the moisture. Avoid washing these gloves in the washing machine; it will spoil the material, and the gloves will shred off.
Happy boxing with clean and fresh boxing gloves every time.